Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hi Kellie! I think that this is a fantastic idea. I am so glad that you thought of it and I'm also happy that all of the drama ideas will be stored and shared in a central forum. I do have one idea to share. My Scholastic Bookfair is coming up in November and this year, the theme is a safari. I was looking for ideas to tie into literature to generate excitement about the bookfair and maybe throw in some drama too. So, I thought of an idea for an animal pantomime activity. It's simple and here it is for other people trying to tie into the safari bookfair theme.

First, the students and I will read Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle and discuss the different animals and what sounds/actions they might make. Then, we will read Yikes! by Robert Florczak, a picture book about going on a safari that is simple on text but is beautifully illustrated. As we read it, I'll ask the kids to make accompanying sounds and actions for the animals. After we've reviewed sound effects, gestures, movement, etc., we will play animal pantomime. I made a deck of about 30 cards. Each card has a picture and name of an animal on it. Each student will come to the front of the class, draw a card, and then pantomime that animal. The rest of the class will have to guess what animal they are.

Anyway...that's a very simple idea but like I said earlier, I was just hoping to tie some drama and literature into the bookfair!!

3 comments:

Kellie said...

SUCH a great idea, Jen! I would not have thought to tie the bookfair in w/drama! Yet another of your ideas I'll be using ;)

Unknown said...

I teach fifth grade for Jefferson Co. - thank you for creating this blog. I hope to contribute at some point. I like the format!
Sydney

American Homemaker said...

This is a blog I'll definitely keep my eye on. I've been involved in elementary age drama for awhile just because my kids have been involved in it. I developed the drama program for our K-8 charter school. I did drama in jr high and high school, but don't have any formal training. Right now I teach a preschool age drama class at an art center. I'd love to contribute if you're interested. I live in Utah and I'm not a teacher though :)