Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Magical Telescopes

One fun activity I've done with younger elementary school age kids is I had them make "magical telescopes" to be able to see magical things. You can't see magical stuff without one, of course.

We used paper towel rolls and decorated them all up with construction paper, stickers, markers, etc. Then we went on a hunt with our telescopes to see what we could see :) I started it going and then the kids starting really getting into it and had a blast. We went all over the room looking through our telescopes. Someone would shout out what they saw, "Look, a monkey, up in a tree!" Then I'd ask what is magical about the monkey. I'd get replies like, "He can talk." or "He's purple with pink stripes!". We found all sorts of things, butterflies, lions, talking trees, you name it :) It was a great activity to get their imaginations going. Of course they got to take their telescopes home with them so they could search for magical things there too.

1 comment:

sarah77 said...

this is a fantastic idea. really imaginative. i'm going to try it with my class this month. it will tie in really nicely with my 'pirates at sea' theme.